- Professional of the Year
- Young Professional of the Year
- Technical Society of the Year
This year, the emcee for our POY Awards Dinner will be Haley Baker, News Anchor at WAFF and speakers will include:
Lee Marshall, President/CEO of Kids To Love
Keynote Speaker, Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle
- ISSAC Corp
- Seneca Nation
- Teledyne Brown Engineering
- People Tec
- Tuba Group
- Torch Technologies
- General Atomics
- Ridgeline Construction
- Trustmark National Bank
- 256 Magazine
Each year, member societies of HATS select an individual from within their ranks for recognition as their Professional of the Year (POY) nominee. The criteria for this selection are:
- Engaged in professional work or activity that is concerned with broad and beneficial social, defense, technological or economic consequences.
- Key contributor to the success of the organization or community activity.
- Exhibited an extraordinary dedication, creativity, or leadership in that work or activity.
- Participate in a professional organization that is a member of HATS.
POY nominees are honored at the HATS POY Awards Dinner. Individual members of HATS Member Societies are encouraged to help honor their society choices by attending the HATS Awards Dinner and sitting at their society’s table(s).
The 2017 POY Award winner was Jeff Gronberg. The award was presented by Dana Cave of HATS.
Criteria for a POY (Professional of the Year) Award:
He or she has:
- Retained membership in the professional organization that is a member in good standing of HATS.
- Demonstrated excellence in some professional (technical or managerial) work or activity that is concerned with broad and beneficial technical, scientific, social or economic consequences. This excellence shall be exemplified in his or her workplace, in the professional organization in which they are participant members of, and/or in volunteer efforts.
- Exhibited an extraordinary dedication, creativity or leadership in that work or activity that results in excellent contributions to the technical and economic development of the City of Huntsville and the surrounding areas.
In honor of Joseph C. Moquin, HATS presents an annual award to an individual who has made extraordinary contributions to the North Alabama Technical Community. The recipient is selected from among the organizations’ Professional of the Year recipients.
Joseph C. Moquin, native of Middleboro, MA, moved to Huntsville in 1956 to work for the Army Ballistic Missile Agency. His reputation as a skilled manager led Milton Cummings, then president of Brown Engineering, to recruit Joe to the young company as executive vice-president of what came to be Teledyne-Brown Engineering in 1967. Throughout the more than three decades since he came to Huntsville, Joe was a veritable wellspring of community involvement and community leadership. He was the driving force behind an effort to establish a first-class research park in what was then the cotton fields of western Huntsville.
That park now hosts scores of high technology companies and is widely considered a model of the modern research and development environment… The park was named after his predecessor, Milton Cummings, in 1973 and is now called Cummings Research Park. Joe Moquin has been a model for the kind of community leader that every community should have and he will truly be missed.
Criteria for the Moquin Award:
The Moquin Awardee will be chosen from among the current year’s POY group (nominated by their respective member organizations) who will stand out as one who has stood above their peers by providing exemplary leadership to the North Alabama technical community. This involvement and leadership shall have been long-standing with commitment and consistency.
Society of the Year Award:
The Annual Society of the Year award exemplifies the excellence that ALL HATS member Societies strive for. HATS member Societies touch so many lives in the Huntsville business world and educational realm that we wanted to present an award to a Society (from nominations made each year) that supports and exemplifies HATS’s purpose of service and support to the Huntsville community.
Young Professional of the Year Award:
In 2017, HATS first awarded the Young Professional of the Year award. This awardee shall be 35 years old or younger and will be chosen from among the nominations from the HATS member societies. The nominees would include a Young POY from each member society who has stood above their peers by providing exemplary leadership to the North Alabama technical community. Their involvement and leadership shall have been impactful, inspirational and consistent.
The 2017 Young POY Award was presented to Andrew Wallberg. The award was sponsored by Torch Technologies and presented by Clay Hagan, VP at Torch.
Criteria for the YOUNG Professional of the Year Award:
- He/she has retained membership in the professional organization that is a member in good standing of HATS. He/she must be 35 years old or younger to qualify for the YPOY award.
- He/she has demonstrated excellence in some professional (technical, managerial, or community) work or activity that is concerned with broad and beneficial technical, scientific, social or economic consequences. This excellence shall be exemplified in his or her workplace, in the professional organization in which they are participant members of, and/or in volunteer efforts in the community.
- He/she has exhibited an extraordinary dedication, creativity or leadership in that work or activity that results in excellent contributions to the technical and economic development of the City of Huntsville and the surrounding areas, including activities such as education, mentorship, training, knowledge transfer, STEM initiatives, etc. He/she exemplifies the dedication and importance of our young professional demographic to the community.
Tickets are on sale now through Eventbrite. They will be $60 for an individual ticket to include meal. More information to follow on ticket sales. Tickets are also available by providing a check to our HATS Board of Directors by contacting HATS Board.
Nomination forms can be downloaded here:
DUE May 31 – POY 2018 Professional of the Year Nomination Form
DUE May 31 – POY 2018 YOUNG Professional of the Year Nomination Form
DUE May 31 – POY 2018 Society of the Year Nomination Form
Our three award categories are 2018 Professional of the Year; 2018 Young Professional of the Year; and 2018 Society of the Year. Please read the award criteria and instructions and submit the forms to the HATS Board by May 31st!!
POY Sponsorships Available!
Since this is a dinner that recognizes professionals in various engineering and technology related disciplines including systems engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, quality, system safety, test and evaluation, contract management, education, and small businesses, we are encouraging sponsorships from companies that will benefit from exposure to these key individuals.
For more info on sponsorship of the HATS Professional of the Year Awards Dinner, HATS POY Sponsorship Flyer 2018.
Please contact Catherine Twilley for sponsorship (firstname.lastname@example.org).